The Ariel Red Hunter was among the range of Ariel single-cylinder motorcycles designed by the firm's chief designer, Val Page in 1932. Page built the machines around an overhead-valve single-cylinder engine he developed six years earlier. Originally a 'sports' version of the Ariel 500, 250 and 350cc versions were developed and became popular with grass track and trials riders.
All Red Hunters had distinctive dark red fuel and oil tanks which were painted in the former Bournbrook cinema opposite the main Ariel factory in Dawlish road, and each engine was run for two hours on a test bench to maintain Ariel's record of reliability and quality control.
The Red Hunter was a success and formed the backbone of the company, which allowed Ariel to eventually purchase Triumph.
The 500cc version featured acceleration from 0-60mph in 10.9 seconds and it could come to a stop from 25mph in under 24 feet.