When DUCATI launched the 1199 Panigale back in February, the assembled throngs saw a new machine which had been built from the ground-up and features Ducati’s monocoque chassis.
That’s all well and good, but to really know what the thing is like, you can check out this video of a ride around the very cool Yas Marina circuit in Abu Dhabi on a Ducati 1199 Panigale S.
The engine of the Panigale is designed to be a fully stressed member of the chassis and Ducati say its architecture has been completely re-configured to maximize layout, weight distribution and strength.
While the cylinders remain at 90° to each other, they’ve been rotated backwards around the crankcases by 6° until the front cylinder is 21° from horizontal. Why? The engine is now positioned 32mm further forwards for improved front-to-rear weight distribution.
In addition to cylinder position, the crankcases now use shell main bearings for the crankshaft, previously only used by Ducati on the Desmosedici RR engine. Removing the roller bearings has enabled an increase in diameter of the crank journals for enhanced rigidity and an increase the crankcase section around the main bearing area for improved strength in line with the Superquadro’s extreme power output. The shell bearings are force-fed oil from internal drillings within the main bearing pillars to keep the new crankshaft well lubricated and is quickly scavenged back into the sump with the introduction of a new Ducati feature, a highly efficient MotoGP-style vacuum pump.
- Frame: Monocoque aluminum
- Front suspension: Öhlins NIX30 43mm with TiN, fully adjustable fork. Electronic compression and rebound damping adjustment
- Front wheel: 3-spoke forged light alloy 3.50″ x 17″
- Rear suspension: Fully adjustable Ohlins TTX36 unit. Electronic compression and rebound damping adjustment. Aluminum single-sided swingarm.
- Rear wheel: 3 spoke forged light alloy 6.00″ x 17″
- Front brake: 2 x 330mm semi-floating discs, radially mounted Brembo Monobloc M50 4-piston calipers
- Rear brake: 245mm disc, 2-piston caliper
- Fuel capacity: 17l (4.5 gallon US)
- Dry weight: 361.5 lbs
- Wet weight: 414.5 lbs
- Engine Type: Superquadro L-twin cylinder, 4 valve per cylinder, Desmodromic, liquid cooled
- Bore x Stroke: 112 x 60.8mm
- Horsepower: 195hp (143kw) @ 10,750rpm
- Torque: 98.1lb-ft (132Nm) @ 9.000rpm
- Exhaust: 2-1-2 system with catalytic converter and 2 lambda probes. Twin stainless steel mufflers with aluminum outer sleeves
- Clutch Slipper and self-servo wet multi-plate clutch with hydraulic control