Motus Motorcycle Plant In Alabama Soon To Be Firing on All Cylinders
American motorcycle manufacturer, Motus Motorcycles, said its bikes built in Birmingham, Alabama, will command more than $30,000 apiece on the showroom floor and that has already placed a series of dealerships across the country to sell them.
Motus chosen Daytona Bike Week in Daytona, Fla., to unveil the company’s MST and MST-R models to consumers. The firm said the top of the line MST-R will retail for $36,975. The bikes are set to be produced in Alabama starting this fall for the 2013 model year.
“We hope to have twenty dealerships established by the end of the year,” said Lee Conn, president and co-founder of Motus.
Brian Case, co-founder and design director of Motus Motorcycles, said his company already has enough orders in hand to keep the Birmingham production facility busy manufacturing the 2013 models through the rest of this year.
“Demand has already exceeded expectations,” Case said. “When we start production, it is going to take us a while just to feed the demand.”
Motus officials say they’re also hot on the trail of locations in the Birmingham area to create a new corporate headquarters and additional production facilities where they can ultimately produce some 20 to 30 bikes every month.
The company was formed in 2008 to take advantage of a perceived lack of a product to fill demand for an American-made, touring motorcycle. Prototypes of the two machines were rolled out for demo at the Barber Motorsports Park and later at Daytona Bike Week. The motorcycle press praised the initial Motus offerings for their design at the time. Both bikes feature V-4, liquid-cooled, engine technology. Motus now joins Confederate Motorcycles, creators of the Hellcat line of super-high-end motorcycles with prices that begin at $45,000, in producing motorcycles in Alabama.
“We’ve designed a bike that is able to rock and roll when you hit the twisters,” Case said. “But they can give you a comfortable ride when you’re on the highway.”
The Motus offerings are generating some positive buzz in Daytona.
“The new Motus is a high performance, innovative American motorcycle – and it’s so different from anything out there,” said Ed Cook, co-owner of AF1 Racing in Austin, Texas.
2013 Motus MST
- Base price: $30,975
- Colors: Speed silver metallic or flame red metallic
- Engine: V-4 Baby Block, 1650cc liquid cooled, 165 horsepower, six-speed, dual overdrive, electronic fuel injection
- Tires and wheels: Aluminum wheels with wave rotors and Michelin tires
- Options: Adjustable handlebars, heated seat, heated grips
2013 Motus MST-R
- Base price: $36,975
- Colors: Strong white or carbon black
- Engine: V-4R Baby Block, 1650cc liquid cooled, 185 horsepower, six-speed, dual overdrive, electronic fuel injection
- Tires and wheels: Forged OZ aluminum wheels with wave rotors and Michelin tires
- Options: Heated seat, heated grips, rear storage rack, premium low seat, touring windscreen