Motorcycle Ice Racing In Michigan – The Coolest Motorcycle Video You'll See
Muskegon Motorcycle Club Ice Races in Grant, Michigan.
January 22, 2012.
The Muskegon Motorcycle Club is one of the oldest continuously operating clubs in the United States, and every year they sponsor a hillclimb event which has gained national renown. The first event, held at Mt. Garfield way back in 1921, drew only a handful of participants and spectators, but by 1951, thanks to local legend Dan Raymond (Muskegon Motorcycle Club founder and president) the event went over the top in more ways than one.
At that event Pete Uebelacker, a vet of National Championship Hill Climbs at Mt. Garfield, took the National Championship. Riding out of Rochester, N.Y., the 39-year-old Uebelacker edged out the field to take the championship trophy.
The hillclimb event ultimately grew to the point where crowds reached an estimated 30,000 spectators during the Golden Era of hillclimbing back in the 1950’s and early 1960’s but was nearly derailed when outlaw biker gangs from Chicago and Milwaukee stormed the area back in 1966. Since then, the National Championship has alternated between Muskegon and York, Pa. and is set to return to Muskegon in 2012.
Since those early days, the MMC has branched out to sponsor a full list of motorcycle events throughout the course of the year, and the lineup now includes a number of ice races.
If you’ve never been to an ice race, you owe yourself the pleasure. It might be cold, but it’s one way to keep the bikes from gathering dust during the long cold winter up north…
Muskegon Motorcycle Club 2012 Event Schedule
- JAN 22 DIRT CC ICE SCRAMBLE – JIM ENGLUND
- JAN 29 DIRT CC ICE FUN DAY – NO PTS
- FEB 19 DIRT CC SNOW SCRAMBLE
- APR 29 DIRT CC MX
- MAY 6 ROAD OPEN SPRING RUN – CARL MURAT
- MAY 12 DIRT CC POKER RUN – JERRYME ENGLUND
- MAY 20 ROAD CC BLESSING OF BIKES – RANDY BUTER
- JUN 2 ROAD CC MYSTERY MILEAGE
- JUN 22 DIRT OPEN DIRT DRAGS
- JUN 23 DIRT OPEN FIELD MEET
- JUN 23 DIRT OPEN NIGHT HILL CLIMB – JERRYME ENGLUND
- JUN 24 DIRT OPEN HILL CLIMB
- JUL 13 DIRT OPEN DIRT DRAGS
- JUL 14 DIRT OPEN TT
- JUL 14 DIRT OPEN DIRT DRAGS
- JUL 15 DIRT OPEN HILL CLIMB
- JUL 20-22 ALL OPEN BIKE TIME BOOTH
- JUL 20-22 ROAD CC BRIDGE RUN-DOUG INGERSOLL
- AUG 5 DIRT OPEN PRO HILL CLIMB-BRIAN DOANE
- AUG 12 DIRT CC MT G. HILL CLIMB & CLOSING
- AUG 18 DIRT CC TT
- AUG 19 DIRT CC DIRT DRAGS
- AUG 25 ROAD CC HOBO RUN
- SEP 14 DIRT OPEN DIRT DRAGS
- SEP 15 DIRT OPEN HILL CLIMB
- SEP 15 DIRT OPEN DIRT DRAGS
- SEP 16 DIRT OPEN STATE CHAMP HILL CLIMB
- SEP 22 DIRT CC HARE ’N’ HOUND
- OCT 6 ROAD CC COLOR TOUR-NO PTS-RICK PERREAULT
- OCT 6 DIRT CC FIELD MEET – JERRYME ENGLUND
- OCT 7 DIRT CC TRIALS
- OCT 18 OPEN EVENTS MEETING
- OCT 25 CLUB ELECTIONS
- NOV 3 WORKERS PARTY & AWARDS BNQT
- NOV 8 CLUB EVENTS AND RULES MEETING
Whether you ride a sport bike or an American cruiser, your insurance needs can get complicated.
We’re here to help you find the right motorcycle insurance, whatever you ride…
Tips for buying your motorcycle insurance, coverage you need:
- Collision to pay for damage caused to your vehicle in an accident with another vehicle or any stationary object.
- Comprehensive to cover such things as fire, hail, wind, vandalism, hitting an animal, etc.
- Towing / Pickup
- Medical payment or personal injury protection to cover the medical bills resulting from an accident.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist to protect us when the other driver is at-fault and does not have coverage or assets out of which your bills can be paid.