So Cool, So Old School – The Yamaha Moegi
Some bikes are just, beautiful, and I must admit this one has captured my imagination.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m as old school as it gets when it comes to motorcycles. I like them large, comfortable and powerful. I like to go fast and I rarely worry about how much gas I’m using.
This concept bike is modeled on Yamaha’s first production machine, the YA-1. While the original YA-1 was a knockoff of the German DKW RT125 and powered by a two-stroke engine, this concept is decidedly modern while somehow generating an old school charm, and I like it for that alone.
The first YA-1 weighed 300 pounds and cranked out a modest 5.6 hp @ 5000 rpm, but that was enough to move it along pretty well at the time. This new Y125 125cc four-stroke motor absolutely sips fuel, and that’s a good thing. Taking what’s essentially a beefed-up bicycle frame with a killer lightweight suspension and brakes, the designers still managed to keep the bike around 150 pounds dry – and that’s an engineering tour-de-force no matter how you look at it.
While it may still be a concept at this point, I can’t imagine Yamaha won’t produce some version of this machine. The coolness of it extends to lights which are LED-based and a rear wheel driven by a belt rather than a chain, but it’s the homage this machine pays to the original Yamaha and it’s pure beauty that would make this bike a hit stateside.
The one thing I tend to wonder about is the claimed fuel efficiency of 188 miles to gallon, but if it even gets close to that kind of mileage, you’ll see these bikes fly out of showrooms Yamaha makes a US version.
Tips for buying motorcycle insurance for your custom:
- Collision to pay for damage caused to your vehicle in an accident with another vehicle or any stationary object.
- Comprehensive to cover such things as fire, hail, wind, vandalism, hitting an animal, etc.
- Towing / Pickup
- Medical payment or personal injury protection to cover the medical bills resulting from an accident.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist to protect us when the other driver is at-fault and does not have coverage or assets out of which your bills can be paid.
- Additional coverage to replace or repair accessories specific to your bike.