Want to Ride Your Motorcycle Without A Helmet? We Don't Recommend It But These Are Your Guys – ABATE Chapter Websites
According to the boilerplate, ABATE is a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving the overall rights and promoting the safe operating practices of all Michigan motorcyclists.
They’re really the guys who Just Don’t Want to Wear A Helmet, Dammit!
ABATE of Michigan, like the other state organizations chartered by the group, are a freedom of choice organization. whose state belief is that the rider is best able to decide for his or her self on all matters motorcycling.
ABATE wants total freedom of choice for riders on the type of motorcycles people can ride, and the type and extent of safety gear that riders wear.
“Our primary objective is to monitor motorcycle related legislation and encourage all members to become politically involved.”
– ABATE of Michigan
ABATE of Michigan’s members boast of the the opportunity to speak their side of
the issues and educate others on the needs, and rights of Michigan motorcyclists and the group works to get legislation and funding for rider education programs throughout the state.
These programs train thousands of new, and inexperienced motorcyclists each year, and
courses are also offered for the intermediate, and experienced rider as well.
But it really comes down to getting rid of that pesky helmet law…
And the other side of the story
- Head injury is the leading cause of death in motorcycle crashes. (U.S. Department of Transportation/National
- Highway Traffic Safety Administration, State Legislative Fact Sheet)
- Helmets are estimated to be 37 percent effective in preventing fatal injuries to motorcyclists. (NHTSA Traffic Safety Facts, Motorcycles, 2006)
- Wearing a properly fitted helmet can actually improve the rider’s ability to hear by streamlining the head and ear which can deduce wind noise allowing the rider to hear other sounds. (Safe Cycling-Motorcycle Safety Foundation Publication.)
- Helmets prevent eye injuries and distraction from dust, dirt and debris thrown up by other vehicles on the road. (Safe Cycling-Motorcycle Safety Foundation Publication.)
- Per vehicle mile, motorcyclists are about 37 times as likely as passenger car occupants to die in a traffic crash and about 8 times as likely to be injured. (NHTSA Traffic Safety Facts, 2006)
- Hospital stays are longer for unhelmeted riders and the cost to taxpayers is significantly higher since many motorcyclists are uninsured. (Michigan Traffic Safety Information Council.)
ABATE Chapters in the United States
Southernmost Chapter – ABATE of Florida
Central Oklahoma District Chapter
Rogers County ABATE, Chapter 11
Sunset – El Reno ABATE, Chapter
Wheels of Thunder Greater Memphis Area Charter
Golden Triangle ABATE – SouthEast Texas
It just feels better in the wind, but bad things can happen to you and your bike, and your motorcycle insurance needs can get complicated.
[…] Want to Ride Your Motorcycle Without A Helmet? We Don’t Recommend It But These Are Your Guys &… (motofotostudio.com) […]